Wednesday, September 24, 2008

David, II - Payne Family Traditions - 2008

Payne family traditions as far back as I can remember:

Of course there are food traditions (orange slices, Chinese buffet, onion and sage stuffing, etc), but as Sara pointed out, we've already covered them. I just think that thoughts on Payne traditions would be woefully incomplete without at least a passing mention of burgers at Stan's whenever Dad comes to Provo.

And speaking of things to do when Dad is in Provo, there are the trips around Dad's paper routes. It always surprises me to hear all the people who Dad knew growing up. I also seem to remember the tour including various girls that Dad dated, but the most recent tour skipped over those details.

Then there are the Christmas traditions. Secret Santa was probably my favorite growing up. I remember being so excited when it was my turn to make the drop, and how cool it would make me feel to know the secret (even though most people didn't know that there was a secret they didn't know- it was still cool). Along with this I have enjoyed the tradition of Christmas Eve poems. They are never very good, but they are always fun.

I think that the stories that Dad told when we were kids count as a tradition in their own right. My memories of them are pretty fuzzy, but I still remember Harry James (is that the right name?) playing the trumpet for the cows, and the trumpet noises Dad would make to accompany the story.

I don't want to beat the topic of hard work to death, because I am sure that everyone will mention it. But, I do think that Dad has set an amazing tradition of working hard. I have always admired how he rests from one kind of stressful work (at the office) by doing a different kind of work (outside in the sun). Hard work has never seemed like a burden to Dad. It's just a part of life.

Along with the tradition of hard work, I think that Mom and Dad have both set a standard of education in the family. They taught us from a very young age to value education. I am very glad for the hours that they spent with me at the kitchen table, patiently editing essays and papers.

Every year or two (whenever one of the boys turned 19 or when Sara went on her mission) I enjoyed the traditional six FHE lessons about loving the people, taking care of ourselves, etc. This is another of my all time favorite traditions, even though I didn't understand it enough to appreciate it when I was younger.

The traditions that have been most important to me are the traditions of faith and obedience. I cannot remember a time in my life when I have doubted my parents' testimonies, which helped me to grow my own. We learned from a very early age the importance of serving faithfully in the church, and always doing what is right.

Thanks for all the good traditions. Happy Father's Day,
David

No comments: